Saturday, November 14, 2009

Fennel Spiced Pork Loin

Cath introduced me to this tasty rub. I strongly recommend you try this rub on anything! I brined my pork loin, put lots of this rub on my tied pork loin to make sure everything cooked evenly. Put it on a baking sheet . Roasted at 500 in the middle rack. After 30-40 min, I moved the pork loin to make sure it didn't stick. Tossed butternut squash and red onion wedges, sprinkled the fennel rub on top of veggies and placed them on the other half of the same baking sheet at the same time I moved my loin. Its a Michael Chiarello recipe:

1 cup fennel seeds

3 tablespoons coriander seeds

2 tablespoons white peppercorns

3 tablespoons kosher salt

Put the fennel seeds, coriander seeds, and peppercorns in a heavy pan over medium heat. Watch carefully, tossing frequently so the seeds toast evenly. When light brown and fragrant, pour the seeds onto a plate to cool. They must be cool before grinding, or they will gum up the blades.

Pour the seeds into a blender and add the salt. Blend to a fine powder, shaking the blender occasionally to redistribute the seeds. Store in a tightly sealed glass jar in a cool, dry place, or freeze.

Makes 1 1/4 cups