Sunday, November 23, 2008

Kaoru: Roasted Butternut Squash Salad



Hello ladies! Thanks for inviting me to join your group. Looking forward to blogging with you.

I was eager to try a new dish especially since I find myself preparing butternut squash in the same way all the time. I always just roast with a bit of melted butter, brown sugar & S/P.

So on Saturday morning, I gave it a go. I followed the directions, making a few minor tweaks: I used rice/balsamic vinegars instead, roasted the squash for 20 minutes at 375*, and skipped the parsley. And since I’d never made frozen black eye peas before, I followed the directions on the package. Big mistake – my first batch turned to mush!



After the squash was roasted, the peppers cut and the dressing made, I combined it all.



What turned out was quite a lovely salad that my husband and I have been munching on all weekend. The acidity from the dressing brightens up the flavor, the peppers add nice texture/kick, and the goat cheese adds a wonderful creaminess. As well, I love that there's protein in the salad from the black eyed peas. I think next time I’ll skip the marjoram and use just parsley instead. Ashley, thanks for posting!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jer said...

So glad you tried it! I haven't made my own batch but Julie made it for me a few weeks ago when I was at her place and I really liked it. I agree that I liked the creaminess of the goat cheese. Any suggestions on changes when I make my batch sometime this long weekend probably ...

24 November, 2008 11:03  
Blogger Kaoru said...

Suggestions... Use rice/balsamic vinegars instead, monitor squash in oven so it doesn't overcook, perhaps skip marjoram (personal preference). Looking forward to reading about your dish!

24 November, 2008 14:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home