Sunday, November 30, 2008

Jer: Roasted Butternut Squash Salad

Finally got around to making this salad over the weekend. Gosh it was nice to be cooking again! I used edamame instead of black eyed peas which I thought held up well (I also liked the green and orange contrast). Also, when I had this at Julie's earlier this month, I thought it could use something a little crunchy so I added some toasted slivered almonds. I didn't add the bell peppers.

I do like the way the goat cheese melts into the salad and gives it a creaminess and a slight tanginess. Although I must admit, while I liked the squash in a salad, I didn't love it. I had ordered a butternut squash salad at a restaurant recently which also fell a little flat on my palate. I think for me, squash is really one of those indgredients that is ho-hum roasted on its own but incredibly delicious when mashed and mixed in with other indgredients. I decided to make a batch of butternut squash soup while making the salad and I thought the soup was amazing. Only things I added were apples and leeks -- and of course some stock and some nutmeg. Its as if the few other indgredients do so much to really elevate the butternut squash into something incredible.

Homemade soup and a half grilled cheese sandwhich is always a huge hit in our house. Pete gets really excited when a new batch of soup is made on the weekends because he knows he's getting this for dinner several days this week!

Any favorite soup recipes you guys want to share? This soup as well as potato leek, lentil, corn chowder, tomato basil, and split pea are in our regular rotation. Would love to try something new if you have a particular family favorite. Thanks!

2 Comments:

Blogger Kaoru said...

Your soup looks lovely. I love butternut squash soup (& always order it when I'm out), but haven't yet made it this season. You've inspired me to make some Jer!

01 December, 2008 23:39  
Blogger Ashley said...

I love butternut squash soup as well. I always use leeks with mine, never tried apples. I'll have to throw some in next time.

03 December, 2008 23:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home