Sunday, December 09, 2007

Elaine: Pork with Calvados

Pork for Hanukkah? Don't know what Mike's parents would think of that but Cooking Diaries before judaic laws ;) I first brined my pork while trying to quickly thaw my pork loin out this afternoon. With my preference for pork that is slightly pink in the center, I left mine an inch in thickness. I actually didn't overcook my pork today or the brining really made my pork super juicy. Don't know which it was but it was mmm mmm good! I didn't have a couple of ingredients on hands so I had a couple substitutes in my sauce. I minced up some red onion as a sub for shallots. I used 1/2 c. of sour cream and 1/2 c. of milk as a sub for cream. And I added 1/8 c. cognac and added 1/8 c. more of apple cider. We loved the sauce paired with the pork. Mike loved the apples as well. I personally would have preferred those apples sandwiched between some pie crust to follow my pork dish but thats just me. Such a simple sauce that I might try with a rib eye next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home