Tuesday, November 06, 2007

My New Favorite Cookie - Meltaways

Well, I thought I was a "baker", therefore knowing nearly every cookie type out there. Last month when I went home to attend my sister's baby shower I was introduced to "Meltaways". Have you gals ever made these little morsels? My sister's sister-in-law ran her own bakery for awhile and she shared the recipe. These may be something to add to the Holiday cookie list.

Cookie:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar

Icing:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 to 1 drop red food coloring


In a large bowl, combine first 4 ingredients. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Separate dough into 4 equal parts and roll each into a smooth log. Wrap each log in flour-dusted wax paper. Chill dough for at least 6 hours. After six hours, allow dough to sit out for 15 minutes to soften.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease baking sheets.
Slice dough into 1/4-inch slices and place on prepared baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes. Cool cookies on wire racks.
In a medium bowl, combine all frosting ingredients. Beat with an electric mixer until creamy. Pipe or dollop a small amount on top of cooled cookies.

Yields 8 dozen.

1 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

I've never made them but in Donna Hay's magazine she had some sandwiched together with a lemon or orange icing. I'll definitely try this one for the holidays. However, I am scared of the doughs you cut from a log. my logs are never round. then i cut a disc off and the disc always has a flattened side from the surface below. I've seen using the inside of a used paper towel roll. Never tried it though. Any advice?

07 November, 2007 15:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home