Sunday, November 04, 2007

Chicken and Garlic Galore!

I've always felt that jarred garlic just isn't the same as peeling the cloves fresh of the head. But for this recipe, I bit the bullet and bought a jar of peeled garlic and I'd do it again.
As Mike walked into the kitchen, he was so surprised to smell stock simmering on the stove and the sizzling of chicken browning in my dusty topped Le Creuset. I've been completely slacking in the domestic goddess -"not so goddess" duties. But tonight, I'm back! I was inspired by this Mistral's Chicken with Garlic recipe from this NY Times article. Its basically a Chicken with 40 garlic cloves. So juicy and delicious. The kids devoured it and Mike couldn't stop raving about his meal. I roasted some olive oil coated wedged potatoes at 500 degrees for 15 min. then flipped for another 15 min. I would love to make this my once a week meal because it was just too easy and satisfying for everyone not to start making it party of my repertoire. I know I say that alot. I wish I actually had a repertoire but I can't seem to get myself to have a meal that is the same every week. Anyway, enjoy! Here's the recipe:
Adapted from “Bistro Cooking” by Patricia Wells
Time:
45 minutes
3- to 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces, at room temperature
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter - didn't use butter due to someone's lactose intolerance and it's not me ; )
About 40 large garlic cloves (bought a jar of the peeled garlic in the produce section)
1/2 cup dry white wine (used 3/4 c. wine and 3/4 c. broth cuz we love our sauce)
1/2 cup chicken stock or canned broth.

1. Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Place a deep, nonreactive skillet or Dutch oven over high heat, and add oil and butter. When fats are hot but not smoking, add chicken pieces skin side down and cook until skin turns an even, golden brown, about 5 minutes. Work in batches, if necessary, and carefully regulate heat to avoid scorching skin. Turn pieces and brown them on other side for an additional 5 minutes.

2. Reduce heat to medium. Bury garlic cloves under chicken to make sure they settle in one layer at bottom of skillet. Sauté, shaking or stirring pan frequently, until garlic is lightly browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add wine and stock, scraping bottom of pan.

3. Cover and continue cooking until juices run clear when a thigh is pricked, 10 to 15 minutes more. Serve chicken with garlic and pan juices and, if desired, rice or sautéed potatoes.

Yield: 4 servings.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jer said...

I love this dish and reading your post makes my mouth water for some. Maybe sometime this week I'll make it. One thing I do is slice potatoes thin (not au gratin thin but thin enough to cook in the time it takes to finish the dish). Salt the potato slices and after you put the stock and wine in the pot place a single layer of the potato slices atop the chicken pieces. Put the lid on and the steam from the wine and stock will cook the potatoes and they will be nicely seasoned with the flavor of the chicken and garlic. Watch to make sure you take the dish off the heat just when the potatoes are perfectly cooked (you don't want them to mush up on you in the pot). I agree, this dish is so easy and so incredibly delicious. And perfect for fall.

06 November, 2007 23:22  
Blogger Ashley said...

I made this tonight and it was delish. Easier than I thought and I served it mashed red potatoes - yum with all the sauce!

14 November, 2007 23:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work.

11 November, 2008 04:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home