Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Sardinian Bottarga


Bottarga: sundried, salted roe of gray mullet or sometimes tuna. I've been seeing it alot on menus and in magazines these days. Have you every tried it? I had it a couple weeks ago at our neighborhood italian restaurant on top of my spaghetti with white clam sauce. It was in caviar form vs this block of sundried roe. I am going on the hunt for this item. The following recipe reminds me of Tarako Spaghetti (salted cod roe) that my brother's fiance introduced me to. Spicy Tarako is my favorite packet. If you haven't tried this amazingly satisfying japanese dish that you can just buy out of a packet and whip up, you must. So if I find Bottarga, this is the recipe I want to try from "Italian Easy ( Recipes from the London River Cafe)".

16 oz Spaghetti
8 oz Bottarga
3 Lemons
2 Dried Chiles
7 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Squeeze the juice of 2 lemons. Crumble chiles
Grate 3/4 of the bottarga into a bowl. Add lemon juice and stir to combine to a cream. Slowly add the olive oil to form a thick sauce.
Cook the spaghetti. Reserve a little fo the drained water. Stir the hot water into the bottarga cream to loosen. Then season with chiles and black pepper. Add the spaghetti to the sauce and toss to coat thoroughly.
Serve with the remaining bottarga grated over and a piece of lemon.
*Note: River Cafe's Italian Country Cookbook also added parsley, garlic and s+p of course.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jer said...

You know I've seen bottarga on menus before but have never ordered it. For some reason I always thought it was some sort of italian cheese. Thanks for the information! That pasta sounds yummy. I like pastas like that in the summer.

19 June, 2007 20:00  
Blogger Catherine said...

Testing...to see whether I can leave comments again!

26 June, 2007 15:39  
Blogger Unknown said...

This rich, marinated speciality is best consumed pure to fully appreciate the luxurious flavours. Wafer thin cut Pourtargue works exceptionally as an aperitif on its own or thinly spread on buttered toast. This bubbly seafood cocktail will tickle your taste buds in no time! Finely grated Poutargue works equally well as an accompaniment to your main dishes (see our recipes).
Please note that Poutargue is always consumed raw!


You can buy bottarga (poutargue or boutargue) come from France on http://www.almyx.eu

05 March, 2009 02:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home