Sunday, April 15, 2007

Elaine: Rhubarb Apple Ginger Compote


Rhubarb is something I've never prepared before due to a scarring experience with a strawberry rhubarb cobbler we had ordered years ago. So I did find rhubarb at Whole Foods quite easily this trip. It was kind of hidden amonst all the other not-so-popular produce section. After being informed that the leaves were poisonous, I made sure I cut them all off, and then some. The recipe was super quick. Since I didn't have crystalized ginger at home, I just threw in a chunk of ginger which I can't seem to find yet in my serving. In trying to clear out my freezer for the move, I found some puff pastry which I decided to use with this compote...sprinkle a little sugar on top, pop it in the oven and you have an instant palmier to pair with this compote. And instead of Kate's suggestion of cream which sounds perfect, I stole some of Sam's yogurt and put a splash of almond extract and dash of sugar to drizzle. Toasted some slivered almonds and sprinkled for a little crunch. And the verdict? Not to sweet. Not too heavy. Such a light refreshing dessert that I could eat lots of and all the time. Kate, thanks for opening my eyes to the world of rhubarb. I want to try all types of rhubarb recipes now.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jer said...

Yum! That looks really good with the almonds. Makes me want to serve the compote with the almond torte from Cooking for Mr. Latte. And then sprinkle the whole thing with toasted almonds; or almonds simmered in a little butter.

17 April, 2007 02:58  
Blogger Jer said...

Did you do anything else different with the compote? Would strawberries in the compote take away from the rhubarb flavor?

17 April, 2007 02:59  
Blogger Elaine said...

I always see strawberry rhubarb as a pair in desserts. I think your Almond torte would be so delicious with the compote. I actually ate the leftover compote all by its lonesome for an after dinner snack. It totally hit the spot.

17 April, 2007 08:31  
Blogger Unknown said...

201510.9dongdong
Cheap Christian Louboutin Shoes Sale
Cheap Michael Kors Handbags Outlet
coach outlet
abercrombie store
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton outlet online
Montblanc Pen Refills Outlet
coach outlet online
Toms Outlet Store Online
Designer Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet
Coach Factory Handbags Outlet Store
ugg outlet
Authentic Louis Vuitton Bags Discount
cheap uggs
Cheap Ray Ban Wayfarer
Jordan Concords Low And High
michael kors outlet
cheap ugg boots
Jordan 4 Shoes For Sale
Louis Vuitton Outlet Free Shipping
Abercrombie and Fitch Store
football jerseys cheap
jordan shoes
Authentic Air Jordan 13 shoes for sale
celine bags
ralph lauren uk
Coach Outlet Discount Clearance Coach Handbags
Canada Goose Outlet,Canada Goose Outlet Online,Canada Goose Clearance
burberry outlet
michael kors handbags

08 October, 2015 20:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home