Saturday, November 18, 2006

Elaine: Braised Stuffed Calamari

After lugging home a luggage full of used cookbooks from my NYC trip to The Strand and Bonnie Slotnicks, I looked up all the stewed stuffed squid recipes I could find. I just picked up The Classic Italian Cookbook by Marcella Hazan from my trip and love this book. Definitely a book to add to your collection. Anyway, 2 lbs of squid seemed a little much for Mike and I. So I halved the recipe and ended up with 8 stuffed tubes of squid. To my stuffing, I finely chopped the tentacles and added garlic, onion, parmesan, breadcrumbs, lemon zest and some jarred roasted red peppers I wanted to finish from the fridge. I sauteed onions, garlic, more roasted red peppers, ripped up the can of tomatoes, white wine, finely diced carrot and celery before adding the raw tightly packaged tubes of squid. I couldn't wait an hour. So I took them out a little earlier. They were so delicious. I served it as an appetizer.

I'm thinking about putting the leftover squid-ees on a grill tomorrow, charr them and serve on top of arugula salad. The next time I make it, I'm going to try adding pancetta into the stuffing. I paired this assignment with some fetuccine with white clam sauce, as Marcella Hazan suggested in her book. A dozen littleneck clams, finely diced red onion, olive oil, garlic, 1 dried red chili peper, white wine, and butter. I threw in thinly sliced discs of lemon at the end. Talk about fast food. That dish took under 10 minutes from the cutting board to my mouth(not including the time it took the pasta water to boil).
For this meal I had all 4 burners going. Mike said he wanted to start a blog for dishwashers. He wanted to take a pic of the dirty pots and pans, my mess of a countertop and everything else I throw into the sink in between. I should really clean as I go like most of you do.
Jer, thanks for choosing this recipe. Next time when Mike's not in the kitchen I'll try and sneak in some anchovies.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jer said...

Oh I'm so glad you liked it. Your entire meal looks so delicious -- I wish I were there to sit down with you and Mike for that meal. And we seem to be on such a common cooking wavelength as I have made a number of clam dishes in the past few weeks! I just can't get enough. I often sneak anchovies in without others knowing when making Italian tomato dishes. What they don't know won't kill them and it really adds a special flavor to so many dishes.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

19 November, 2006 02:04  
Blogger Jer said...

PS... That is one of my favorite italian cookbooks. She is lovely. Biba Caggiano's books tie with Hazan's for my favorite for italian cooking.

19 November, 2006 02:05  
Blogger Unknown said...

pandora store
oakley sunglasses
cheap oakley sunglasses
adidas shoes
adidas outlet
moncler jackets
pandora jewelry official site
pandora outlet
los angeles dodgers jerseys
coach outlet
mt20180728

27 July, 2018 02:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home