Monday, October 16, 2006

Wild Berries!

I never imagined wild berries growing just blocks from my house - free to pick for anyone who is willing to tackle their thorny vines. We spent the latter part of July and early August picking blackberries. I would take a pint tupperware out with me on my daily walks with Caffrey, our dog, and was always able to fill my container. So, needless to say, blackberries were a staple in our diet over the summer months. I made berrie pies, muffins, and coffee cakes.


Huckleberries are also available (FREE if you are willing to hike for them!) in September. We went on a great hike with our neighbors and spent more time amidst the huckleberry bushes than hiking! If you've never had huckleberries they are just fabulous! They are most like a blueberry but much smaller and more flavorful - a bit of a wild taste! They take forever to pick because of their size. Which is likely why they cost so much at the farmers markets. Steve and I picked nearly a gallon. We came home and had huckleberry waffles for dinner and pancakes for breakfast the next morning. I froze the rest and am looking forward to popping them out and baking this winter!

Just a few weeks ago I received an email from someone in my neighborhood who had just harvested her concord grapes! She was giving them away - first come first serve. So, I couldn't resist....I came home with 2 grocery bags full of concord grapes. I froze them and am hoping to make jelly anyday now.


3 Comments:

Blogger Jer said...

What a fun Seattle treat! We have some good friends who live in Bellevue and they have these wonderful blackberry bushes in their backyard. Whenever we visit them they serve up an amazing cobbler or pie. I love eating them straight from the bush. So good. Your concord grape jelly idea makes me hungry for some toast!

17 October, 2006 08:47  
Blogger Catherine said...

Sounds wonderful...makes me miss Seattle!

18 October, 2006 09:46  
Blogger Elaine said...

After your posting, I had to go out and buy some Welch's Concord Grape Jam. hahahah. I know... how gourmet of me, right?

18 October, 2006 14:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home