Monday, October 09, 2006

Cath: Mont Blanc


Finally posting my Mont Blanc--sorry for the huge delay everyone! We've had guests for the past week and a half basically, not that that's an excuse at this point I know! Anyway, some thoughts...this was soooo tasty! Rob and I both loved it. You can't eat a lot of it though, definitely very rich! I wish I'd read Jer's suggestion about the Saran Wrap before I attempted this because I did have a terrible time unmolding it. I made it in a 2 quart bowl and had high hopes but I guess I let it defrost a little too long before I tried the unmolding. Come to think of it, I think I took it out of the freezer right before trying to get Mila to bed--rookie mistake because that always takes longer than I think it will! As it was it basically ended up a huge melty mess so I refroze it and then served it in ramekins. Oh well. It was fun making the brittle and not as hard as I thought it would be. Good find Elaine!

4 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

i really like the look of the mont blanc scooped like ice cream. did it scoop out with the consistency of ice cream?

09 October, 2006 23:38  
Blogger Kate said...

This looks good Cath. I didnt use saran for my mont blanc. In fact I did try originally as my mother always uses it for her frozen desserts. But i got myself into a right mess, half of the mixture seeped under the wrap so I poured it all back into a dish and just froze it in a square cake pan. When it was ready to turn out I dipped the pan in a sink of warm water for about 1 minute (making sure no water went over the side). this was another tip from my mum. The warm water is supposed to release the dessert from the sides of the pan. Then I quickly put an upside down plate on top and turned it onto it...does that make sense?

10 October, 2006 07:41  
Blogger Catherine said...

Gotcha...how did you get that nice texture though? It almost looks like frosting! Elaine, yep, it scooped exactly like ice cream...

11 October, 2006 11:59  
Blogger Kate said...

I think the texture was from the way it had started to melt from the warm water. Luck more than design.

11 October, 2006 13:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home