Thursday, September 07, 2006

Kate: Mont Blanc


I ended up following the recipe from the book. It was such a long time between reading Elaine’s original post and starting the recipe that I didn’t notice the difference in technique.
There was no piping involved in this recipe, you had to partially freeze it then dig out the inner, unset mousse leaving a rim around the edge. What you dug out became the ‘surprise’ and covering mousse.
My walnut brittle didn’t set by the time the mousse was partially set which resulted in caramel centre rather than brittle. So I didn’t process just chopped the nuts a little so they were chunky rather than ground. I was disappointed about the brittle thinking I lost on texture, which I suspect I did, but my guests didn’t notice and all loved the caramel/coffee centre. Following Elaine’s method would have avoided brittle-caramel issue.
The rest of the method I followed was straightforward and the digging out and reinserting was easier than I imagined.
Unfortunately I removed it from the freezer too early and by the time I brought it to the table to dish out it had really softened around then edges. I was again quite disappointed especially having come so far to make such a silly mistake but it didn’t appear to bother anyone. Next time I would take it out a couple of minutes before serving instead of ten.
The book suggests serving with candied peel that was the perfect match and helped divert attraction form my not so firm edges. (The recipe is one that Elaine posted with Soufflé a l’orange)
Elaine this was one of the tastiest desserts and has huge 'wow' factor with guests.

4 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

How did you unmold it so nicely? I was too scared to unmold them. I bet the candied oranges cut thru the richness a little. Sorry to hear about your carameled walnuts not setting.

07 September, 2006 08:51  
Blogger Kate said...

The unmolding was a bit stressy. I ran some warm water in the sink, lowered the mold in for a second or two, turned it over and hoped for the best. Lucky it worked. I used a cake pan and I think this made it easier than a ramekin which is pretty thick so would take a while to warm up.

07 September, 2006 09:32  
Blogger Jer said...

I need to take a pastry 101 classs as I'm really confused about the molding and unmolding concept. And am I a neophyte or what but I've never even heard of a Mont Blanc. Where does one find these types of desserts. You both are giving me the inspiration to try this. I'm getting excited.

08 September, 2006 00:55  
Blogger Catherine said...

Wow! So pretty! And I love the idea of the candied peel on top. I have some candied grapefruit in the fridge (also courtesy of your recipe, Elaine!) and will try using that.

08 September, 2006 10:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home