Sunday, May 21, 2006

Kate: Steamed Pork Buns and Shu Mai


I decided to marinate some pork myself as I had several failed trips to chinatown to get it. It was a blessing in disguise. I found a great recipe http://www.whats4eats.com/recipes/r_me_charsiu.html
It was simple and the pork, straight out of the oven tasted fantastic. So good that its a suprise any made it into the buns.
The dough preparation went more smoothly than I anticipated. It rose wonderfully and then once again after being filled. Infact after the second rise I realised I'd used far too much dough for each bun but they would be Ok providing they stayed that way. Unfortunately they didnt. They continued to rise whilst cooking...is that bizarre? They ended up the size of a head, each. I also found it difficult to work out if they were cooked, the dough appeared damp on the outside but when cut they were properly cooked. So I think used far too much yeast or dough for each bun, probably both. I followed your recipe Jer using 3 x 7g sachets of yeast, is that a similar weight to your packets?

I prepared the mixture for some Shu mai at the same time and had Hugo as my little helper. They were good and thankfully steamed far better than the buns. They were also a great, rainy, sunday afternoon activity.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jer said...

So cute that Hugo was helping with the filling. Those shu mai look so pretty. I'll have to check the measurement of the yeast at home but I wonder if that was the issue. Everyone's photos are getting so beautiful! And thanks for hte bbq recipe. Can't wait to try that at home.

23 May, 2006 11:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

11 June, 2006 09:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

21 July, 2006 06:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home