Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Kate: Souffle a l' Orange



Having never made souffle before I had a completely different expectation of the texture. I made little brown sugar shortbread biscuits to go and served some mascapone. The velverty mascapone went beautifully but the biscuits should have been flicked to another course with cheese or something, anything but the souffle.

The souffle itself, or themselves as I did individuals, rose to the occasion. I used blood oranges and some liquore but still there wasnt enough orange flavour for me. I think it could have benefitted from some orange oil which I had but was reluctant to use incase it was over powering.
I love the texture of the souffle but I found the egginess a little too much. This was definately a personal preference as Greg and my friend Jen both loved it. So maybe the need for more orange was a mask rather than enhancer. I have realised from this excercise that eggy desserts are not my thing and I admitted to them, and myself, last night that even the renowned creme brulee is too much after one egg filled spoonfull.

I enjoyed the cooking process and this was a great recipe suggestion Ashley. That texture was something else so I will definately souffle again but in a savoury setting...much to Gregs dissapointment.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jer said...

Terrific photo Kate. I had a similar experience with the flavor, the egg and texture overpowered more than the citrus flavors. But I enjoyed the process greatly Ashley as I've never souffled before! So a great learning experience for me. I'll post mine in the next day or so...

08 March, 2006 21:05  
Blogger Elaine said...

For a second there I thought those were homemade speculoos cookies. You really did a great plating of your dessert...but your dishes always did look so pretty. Love the pairing with the marscapone. I competely agree with you about the egginess. Don't know if it was the recipe or the flavoring. I really want to make an Almond Souffle. You might forget about the egginess if its almond-y.

08 March, 2006 22:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home