Saturday, February 25, 2006

Recipe 4: Souffle a l'Orange


I've procrastinated enough and decide to just post the recipe that I've been thinking of, even though I haven't had to time to make it. Thus, there will be no pictures until I can find time...

My passion is definitely baking. In all my years of baking muffins, breads, pies, cakes, cookies, etc....I've never attempted a souffle. I don't know if it's the looming fear of a 'fall' or maybe it just doesn't sound like it would be my favorite dessert. Nonetheless, I've decided that it would be best to try it in the company of friends. I ventured through my french cookbooks and decided to wage my bets on Julia - Mastering the Art of French Cooking volume I. For some reason, the orange souffle caught my attention. Citrus is prime now and thoughts of a warm creamsicle crossed my mind when I thought of making a simple creme anglaise sauce to go with the souffle. I also thought a nice dark chocolate sauce would be nice. They also recommend adding almonds or a liquor like cointreau or grand marnier.

Oven to 400.

Preparing the souffle mold:
1/2 T softened butter
Granulated suger
6 cup mold preferable about 3 1/2 inches deep ( I think mini souffles would be nice in ramekins)

1. Butter the entire surface of the mold.
2. Add sugar to coat the interior surface.

The Bouilli sauce base:
1 orange
2 large sugar lumps
3 T sifted all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup granulated sugar + 1 T
5 eggs (separated)
2 T softened butter
2 t vanilla
3-4 T of orange liquor

1. Rub sugar lumps over the orange to extract the oil. Mash the sugar lumps and zest the orange.
2. Beat the flour with some of the milk until well blended with wire whip. Beat in the rest of the milk and 1/3 cup of sugar. Beat in rest of the milk and the sugar. Stir over moderately high heat until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Boil, stirring, for 30 seconds. Sauce will be thick. Remove from heat and beat for 2 minutes to cool slightly.
3. Seperate the eggs and add yolks into center of the sauce one at a time. Beat a total of 4 yolks into the sauce. Reserve the whites to be whipped later.
4. Beat in half of the butter. Dot the top of the sauce with the rest of the butter to prevent a skin from forming on the surface.
5. Beat 5 eggwhites and salt together to form soft peaks. Sprinkle with the 1 T of sugar and beat until stiff peaks are formed.
6. Beat the vanilla and liquor into the saucebase. Stir in 1/4 of the beaten eggwhites. Delicately fold in the rest.
7. Turn the souffle mixture into the prepared mold, leaving a little over an inch at the top of the mold.
8. Place the souffle in the middle of the preheated oven and immediately turn down to 375. In 20 minutes, when the souffle has begun to puff and brown, quickly sprinkle the top with powdered sugar. After a total of 30-35 minutes of baking, the top of the souffle should be nicely browned and a tester inserted in the side of the puff should come out clean.
9. Serve immediately!

Bon Apetit! Let me know how your experience goes. I will try to make mine early in the week and edit this to post some pics.

Results: I prepared the orange souffle tonight and had it with a cream anglaise sauce. The souffle didn't really rise above the rim of my pan like I expected...it must've been too big of a pan for the batter. It puffed up and browned nicely though. It did fall once I started cutting into it to serve. I think some people would get hung up on the texture of a souffle - but I thought the results were very tasty.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jer said...

Excellent. I too have never tried a souffle! A fun foodie friend is coming for a visit next weekend and we will make this together her first night here. I have always wanted to try a souffle so thank you for the impetus!

26 February, 2006 00:08  
Blogger Kate said...

I also have a friend visiting next week she is from Australia and few years ago made me a fabulous cheese souffle. It will be good to do with her help as I too fear the souffle

26 February, 2006 14:49  
Blogger Elaine said...

I love the pairing of a dark chocolate sauce or even an almond creme anglaise...Mmmmm! Looking forward to making this Julia/Simca gem.

26 February, 2006 15:30  
Blogger Kate said...

Your souffle looks great Ashley. I love the creme anglaise and berries. I'm looking forward to making mine. I think i will do individuals...mainly as I dont have a decent large souffle dish...mind you its good reason to get one.

03 March, 2006 08:30  
Blogger Jer said...

Ashley, I'm going to make this on Sunday night when we have some friends coming over to watch the Oscars. Do you think adding almonds is a good touch or was it nice enough without them? Also, would you mind sharing your creme anglaise recipe? It looked so lovely in the photo I think I will do it exactly like you did with the creme and those berries.

03 March, 2006 22:32  
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike blazer pas cher, coach outlet, nike air force, timberland pas cher, michael kors outlet online, burberry handbags, ray ban uk, nike air max uk, ray ban pas cher, michael kors outlet, hollister uk, michael kors outlet online, nike air max uk, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, lululemon canada, north face, new balance, burberry outlet, kate spade, mulberry uk, hollister pas cher, ralph lauren uk, michael kors outlet, nike air max, abercrombie and fitch uk, north face uk, michael kors, nike tn, guess pas cher, vans pas cher, true religion jeans, michael kors outlet online, nike roshe run uk, coach purses, nike free uk, sac hermes, oakley pas cher, uggs outlet, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, true religion outlet, true religion outlet, replica handbags, uggs outlet, hogan outlet, sac vanessa bruno, michael kors

03 August, 2016 22:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home